Last month while Christmas shopping, I came upon a Barbie wedding set complete with Barbie in a beautiful gown, Ken in a dapper tuxedo (although there is something a little boxy about Ken), Stacie as bridesmaid, and Kelly as flower girl. I immediately called my sister to tell her about this treasure. Who could I give it to? At $40 it was a little pricey for the cousins' exchange, and none of my girls play with Barbies. As I'm describing the toy to her, she says, if you love it so much, why don't you buy it for yourself? That's ridiculous. I instantly started an internal investigation as to why I would be so drawn to the Barbie wedding set. As a younger mother I detested Barbie, and told my mother and mother-in-law that we would be a Barbie-free house. I realized my short-comings as a feminist however, when my oldest daughter turned four and I orchestrated a ballerina themed birthday party. The mother of one of her little friends came up to me outside the preschool, and said " I found the perfect gift! A ballerina Barbie!" My heart sank as I failed to summon the courage to politely ask her not to introduce Barbie to our house. A smaller chested, lithe Barbie in white tutu and slippers was opened to the delight of my four-year old. We still have her, and although her hair is a little ratty I'm loathe to through her out, perhaps as a symbol of my weaknesses as a feminist, or perhaps because secretly I adore Barbie and the grand fairy tale she represents.
A few months ago I attended a mother-daughter church luncheon where the key-note speaker used the Cinderella story to illustrate the character traits of humility and self-sacrifice. The woman sitting next to me, to my surprise, whispered, "I hate the Cinderella story. It's the worst thing we can tell our daughters-that if you find prince charming all your problems will magically disappear. Besides she wasn't showing humility or self-sacrifice for her step-mother, she was showing weakness and simple-mindedness! She should have sued her step-mother for her part of the estate and for abuse." Because I wasn't expecting this comment from this particular mother, I found myself mulling over her words long after the luncheon. Why do we perpetuate the Cinderella story, in its myriad forms, that marrying prince charming is the best way to ensure happiness? Why don't we address the search for happiness in a different way, i.e. you develop the ability to experience happiness here and now, and that it doesn't just magically happen for you when you've contrived the "perfect" wedding?
My family and I saw an exhibit at the Peabody Essex Museum about a year ago called "Marriage Rituals around the World." It was a mixed media exhibit with gowns and other wedding accouterments from various cultures and times periods, as well as fascinating wedding videos from "around the world." As I was watching the videos with my cynical, grouchy Saturday-morning self, my husband was trying to inspire awe in my daughters over the dresses and elaborate cakes. These videos were truly exotic and a little strange, but they made me wonder, why do we as a species apparently, lavish and concentrate our efforts in such a way on marriage? Perhaps, it's because marriage is a symbol of hope, regeneration, and a new beginning for the parents of the bride and groom. But what of the bride and groom? The bride and groom are not looking for regeneration or a fresh start, or the prospect of newness and vitality that babies bring. For the bride and groom, they have been promised happiness and bliss. As Emma in Madame Bovary experienced, the happiness that Charles Bovary was in a position to provide her was not passionate and definitely not rapturous. Emma was quickly disappointed that her marriage was not as the romance novels had told her it would be. She was ill-prepared to confront this reality, felt trapped, and sought what would be a tragic escape. She was deluded by her desire for a more fulfilling, passionate union, into believing that passion would bring her happiness. The question Emma's character poses for us, is how can we change the marriage narrative so that we know what kind of happiness to expect, look for, or create for ourselves?
I've found myself in a philosophical morass with regards to feminism, marriage, and my own daughters. I often feel as though I've married my prince charming - he's romantic, intelligent, engaging, spends time with tthe kids, cooks, and even wakes up at 5:30 am to change my 7 year-old's wet bed while trying to keep it quiet so I don't wake up. Even though he is a perfect match for me, happily every after does not follow by necessity. We experience our moments of crisis, frustrations, and times of wondering how we will ever make it through. I definitely want my daughters to experience happiness with a spouse, but since marriage doesn't gaurantee happiness, I want them to understand what marriage is in real terms. My sisters and many friends of mine find ourselves in the weeds of marriage: we're done having babies, the bad habits and resentments of a decade-plus have accumulated to a staggering height, and the demands of older children physically and psychologically make us almost long for the simpler up-all-night-with-the-baby days. If there was passion in the early days, it is often very hard to find or summon now. The challenge that this stage of marriage presents is that we can find ourselves at the breaking point, where we question if we really love our spouse, if it's "worth it" to stay together, where we wonder as Emma did, "Oh why, dear God, did I marry him?" (I:7). Knowing that similar troubles await my own daughters down the road, yet believing that marriage is ultimately worth pursuing, in what context do I encourage this endeavor?
Clearly, the Cinderella story will not work, and it's a good thing I didn't buy the Barbie wedding set, so I don't perpetuate the happily ever after myth with my youngest two. Instead, I hope that by witnessing the many arguments and moments of forgiveness that my husband and I share, along with relatively chaste scenes of ardor and affection, my girls can see that marriage is hard, but it's happinesses are not elusive. Yes, I adore the wedding gowns as we drive past the local bridal shop, and perhaps I'm overly enthusiastic when I point out to the girls, "Did you see that one with the beautiful sparkles?" Yet on the same day they might receive a lecture from me about how important it is for them to develop their own independence and sense of self. I often caution my oldest one against marrying too young, as I did, and losing those precious years of self-actualization. Perhaps these challenging "middle" years of marriage are what make us nostalgic for the fairy-tale romance (and Barbie wedding sets), when believing in the fairy tale made happily ever after possible. Now the burden is to make happily ever after actual through commitment, love and the openness to accept the kind of happiness available to us. Perhaps taking ownership of our own happiness, recognizing that our spouse is not the creator of our happiness, and avoiding the tempting trap of escape are the first steps towards a feminist marriage.
I've found myself in a philosophical morass with regards to feminism, marriage, and my own daughters. I often feel as though I've married my prince charming - he's romantic, intelligent, engaging, spends time with tthe kids, cooks, and even wakes up at 5:30 am to change my 7 year-old's wet bed while trying to keep it quiet so I don't wake up. Even though he is a perfect match for me, happily every after does not follow by necessity. We experience our moments of crisis, frustrations, and times of wondering how we will ever make it through. I definitely want my daughters to experience happiness with a spouse, but since marriage doesn't gaurantee happiness, I want them to understand what marriage is in real terms. My sisters and many friends of mine find ourselves in the weeds of marriage: we're done having babies, the bad habits and resentments of a decade-plus have accumulated to a staggering height, and the demands of older children physically and psychologically make us almost long for the simpler up-all-night-with-the-baby days. If there was passion in the early days, it is often very hard to find or summon now. The challenge that this stage of marriage presents is that we can find ourselves at the breaking point, where we question if we really love our spouse, if it's "worth it" to stay together, where we wonder as Emma did, "Oh why, dear God, did I marry him?" (I:7). Knowing that similar troubles await my own daughters down the road, yet believing that marriage is ultimately worth pursuing, in what context do I encourage this endeavor?
Clearly, the Cinderella story will not work, and it's a good thing I didn't buy the Barbie wedding set, so I don't perpetuate the happily ever after myth with my youngest two. Instead, I hope that by witnessing the many arguments and moments of forgiveness that my husband and I share, along with relatively chaste scenes of ardor and affection, my girls can see that marriage is hard, but it's happinesses are not elusive. Yes, I adore the wedding gowns as we drive past the local bridal shop, and perhaps I'm overly enthusiastic when I point out to the girls, "Did you see that one with the beautiful sparkles?" Yet on the same day they might receive a lecture from me about how important it is for them to develop their own independence and sense of self. I often caution my oldest one against marrying too young, as I did, and losing those precious years of self-actualization. Perhaps these challenging "middle" years of marriage are what make us nostalgic for the fairy-tale romance (and Barbie wedding sets), when believing in the fairy tale made happily ever after possible. Now the burden is to make happily ever after actual through commitment, love and the openness to accept the kind of happiness available to us. Perhaps taking ownership of our own happiness, recognizing that our spouse is not the creator of our happiness, and avoiding the tempting trap of escape are the first steps towards a feminist marriage.

I like this post!
ReplyDeleteRebekah, I love your brain!
ReplyDeleteI like the comment by the other mother about Cinderella. It just made me think that "marriage = happiness" could be a total American ideal. Do other cultures expect marriage to be a propagator of happiness?
"In the weeds of marriage" - I love that! I do think the ultimate is making it through and finding love and happiness. I have told you before that the one thing I really want my children to know is that they are in charge of their happiness. It is a choice, one that I myself am not an expert at, but it is something to constantly be working toward. At the end of the day it is looking back at the little things and taking them for what they are worth. Even when Bill and I have horrible days between us we can start talking about the kids and the cute things they did or the things that made us pull our hair out and still feel united in that.
I often think about my neighbors, who have been married for 50 years, and everything that they have been through in their lives. Things I never want to have to experience! And I am sure they felt as I do sometimes and as Emma did, "Oh why, dear God, did I marry him?" (I:7) Everyone has issues, so even if you did marry someone else, they would have problems too! And it would suck to work through them. It is the work that teaches us and makes us better people. I believe it is better to do it with someone (be married) then to do it on your own.
(My first comment was erased and it was much better than this one!)
I love your brain too, Erin!
ReplyDeleteI guess my big question is how should we talk about marriage/weddings. I think I still mythogize it with the dresses and the sparkly excitement, and maybe this is telling the girls that marriage is magical like Santa Clause. (And this goes back to my big insecurity about ever having Santa Clause come to our house!)On the other hand, they are a bit young to ba talking frankly about the work in marriage, it's just that there seems to be a link between the amount of psychological work required and unahppiness or even desperation.
The other day I was thinking about the difference between an affair (sexual) and a marriage (sexual and pyschological). Sex is a little magical because you're experiencing something more powerful than your inner psyche, i.e. the pheromones, touch, heart rate, etc.... take over and your psyche can go along for the ride. Maintaining a friendship and marriage on the other hand, means that you have to be involved psychologically, you have to do the work of keeping yourself interested or connected without the magic of biology.
Does this make sense? What do you think?
Marriage/Weddings. For me I never day dreamed about a big beautiful wedding. It was more a means to an end. The wedding is the thing you have to do to get married. The dress/flowers/tux are all just for the pictures so you can remember it later. And I'm not sure how that has shaped my outlook on marriage. I have always wanted the committed relationship and friendship that a marriage is supposed to be. And with that expectation, there are pit falls also. The work required for marriage isn't different than the work required for life. It is just a more magnified relationship. Every day, every thing. And that is where you have to be able to separate that in marriage you are supposed to be one, but you are also individuals.
ReplyDeleteI think kids see more then we think. They see through our relationship that marriage is work. Seriously, isn't that what we are all working through now, that our parents weren't perfect? I think "in the weeds of marriage" might just be a transition in life. A realization of what life really is, and that we do need to decide our own happiness. I think it is interesting that Camille wanted to be a bride for Halloween. I don't think I would let my girls dress as a bride. Is that right? Or am I crushing their excitement for their future?
Ah, Rebekah, yes, let's open that door! I think a sexual affair is exciting because you are doing something that is taboo. Usually at least one participant is not in a good place mentally. The "only" physical relationship of an affair seems easy because you don't have to maintain the psychological side. (Which will eventually come to an end because the psychological will kick in sometime.) I think you seemed to have taken the SEX out of marriage. You still have the magic of biology working on your side in marriage. It's just easier to push it to the side or let other concerns get in the way. That is a balance in marriage that is hard to find. Especially for women. Because we are always planning and thinking. It's hard to just let it all go and enjoy the physical side of the relationship that is crucial to the maintenance of the relationship.
Wow, Erin! I'll have to chew on this for a while....I forgot about the bride for Halloween. Again, what kind of a feminist mother am I? Couldn't I have had her be a corpse bride??
ReplyDeleteCorpse Bride? That is hilarious!
ReplyDeleteRight before my wedding people gave me mysterious advice like "marriage is like a bonsai tree, you have to carefully trim it as it grows," and "a perfect marriage is not made in heaven, it is made on earth so you can get to heaven." Comments like these make no sense to someone who is in love and has never seen their future spouse's bad side. Now as I find myself in the thick of things, and realize that marriage is hard work, I am starting to understand where they were coming from. After 11 years of marriage I am only now starting to understand the "I'm rubber you're glue whatever you say bounces off me and sticks on you" phenomenon. When I get mad at him, he gets mad right back at me, and when I show patience and forgiveness he does likewise. When we are loving toward each other we build each other up.
ReplyDeleteI don't know how much we can do for our girls to prepare them for the tough grown-up relationship part of marriage other than showing them how much we love each other as we work through our differences. They will have to/get to experience it for themselves.
I'm like Erin and didn't dream of a big fancy wedding (I was relieved that I had you to plan it for me), but saw it as a means to an end. I hope that my girls see it the same way, becasue I feel that all the hype can take away from the deeper significance of the day. Maybe playing with the Barbie Wedding set won't damage them or send them the message that marriage=happiness. Maybe just that a wedding is a happy occasion, because they aren't even thinking about the work a successful marriage relationship takes, or feeling they even have problems that they need someone to solve for them.
I feel that the most important thing that we can do for our girls as "feminists at home" is to raise them with a sense of worthiness and dignity, so that they don't feel like they have to find the right man to be happy. So that they understand through their own accomplishments and development of their attributes just how wonderful they are. I hope they don't have to experience the same feeling of desperation and self-doubt that I did from the age of about 15 wondering if anyone would ever want to marry me, and feeling like I needed male praise and approval to be happy. I want them to be happy, self-assured, well-developed individuals before they get married. Now the trick is how exactly to do that.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDelete"Wondering if anyone would ever want to marry" you?!?! You're exactly right, we don't want our girls to experience that type of desperation. We need to start by breaking down the Cinderella myth: she was beuatiful where her step-sisters were ugly, she was submissive in the wrong ways, she was dumb (Oh, Fairy Godmother!), and she had the smallest foot in the kingdom. This idea that a girl needs to be beautiful, dumb and submissive to get prince charming, and then live "happily ever after" is poisonous. It's bad enough that our High School operated in these terms, we shouldn't encourage it at home! It's our job to expose these delusions for what they are: setups for desperation and unhappines.
ReplyDeleteYeah especially that small foot part (I have to special order BIG shoes).
ReplyDeleteLuckily for me, even though I grew up playing with barbies and dressed as a bride for Halloween (yep!) I still managed to go into marriage with eyes wide open, fully expecting it to be hard work. Because, honestly, sometimes married to your little brother is not a fairytale!
ReplyDeleteI think the important thing is what I was seeing and hearing from my mother as a young girl. She set up expectations for us to be strong, independent women who didn't need to be rescued by a man. She encouraged us to go to college before getting married and to work before having babies. The most important thing I learned from her was that there is great joy to be found as you rejoice in womanhood, motherhood, and in marriage but you have to work to find receive it. What she taught us had much more impact than anything we may have inferred from Cinderella or playing with barbies.
Wow Emily! What a great mom you have, and that you can attribute all that sage advice to her. She had great insight into what a woman of today needs to avoid the blindness and deception that we can get from fairytales.
ReplyDelete